Things you should know when hiring immigrant skilled workers in Alberta

By on August 16, 2014
Temp Foreign Workers

Alberta’s economy is growing massively and there is a growing need for skilled labour in the province. An as employer from Alberta, there is a chance you may be eligible to fire international skilled workers to satisfy your labour needs. In addition, if you already have hired foreign workers and would like to retain them on a permanent basis you can even help them apply for a permanent residence.

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program

The TFWP works through the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) and the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC); both of which are under the Government of Canada.

The TFWP enables Canadian employers to temporarily hire foreign workers to fill urgent or critical labour shortages when Canadian workers are not an option.

How to hire a foreign worker

Employing a foreign worker supports economic growth, thus creating even more opportunities for Canadian citizens. In order to hire a foreign worker there are a few steps to follow.

  • You must have a genuine offer
  • You also need to show that you have attempted to hire a Canadian worker but have been unable to.
  • You will need to be able to show that you will be providing working conditions and wages that are up to the standards of the prevalent industry standards.
  • Have an LMO (Labour Market Opinion) confirmation from the HRSDC
  • You will need to determine the skill level of the position.

Things you need to keep in mind

  • All Canadian occupations are classified with a National Occupational Classification code.
  • The HRSDC used these NOC codes to identify all occupations according to skill level and job duties of the foreign applicant.
  • The skilled worker category includes managerial, professional and technical occupations.
  • The semi-skilled worker category includes jobs that don’t require higher education.
  • Determine if any certification from Alberta is needed. Some occupations like accounting, medicine, teaching, nursing, engineering, electrician, psychology and law require certification.
  • In order for a foreign worker to be licensed or certified in an occupation they must apply to a regulatory body to assess their skills and qualifications or even pass an examination. The International Qualifications Assessment Service performs this assessment and compares the credentials to Canadian educational credentials.

As an employer of a foreign skilled worker, it is important that you understand these requirements well and communicate them to your applicant to avoid any glitches along the way.

About admin